Climate Action Niagara (CAN) is a non-profit environmental organization that provides eco-education and actions on issues relating to climate change to improve resilience in Niagara.
Projects and Initiatives
- Anti-Idling Car By-Law and Campaigns
- Report - Climate Change Implications for Municipalities 07/08
- Urban Forestry - Naturalization projects including School Scapes, ACER Planting for Change, ACER Measuring for Change and Circle Greening, including comparative data on species resistance to climate change
- Eco Educational Workshops for students including composting indoors and out, water conservation, soils health, plant propagation
- Local Food Harvest Celebration, ongoing
- Annual ECO FEST NIAGARA Trade Show -Niagara's greenest trade show!
- Terry Fox Trail Clean ups
- Project Porchlight
- Summer Social Benefit Concerts, annual
- Earth Day, Week, Hour, and 350 events
- Niagara Community Gardens Network, facilitating 11 community gardens, gardening workshops, canning workshops in cities & towns throughout the Region
Greener Tomorrow Conference in partnership with City of St Catharines
- Pesticide Education -presentations with City of St Catharines educational campaign
- Sustainability Series - Panel Discussions, Films, Tours covering Food Security, Transition Towns, Renewable Energies, Permaculture, Natural Heritage, Economics of Sustainability, Urban Forestry and Waste Issues
- Niagara Memorial Trees, Niagara Heritage Tree Hunt
- Hosted 2010 Ontario Urban Forestry Council Conference in Niagara
- Hosted 2011 Ontario Sustainable Energy Association 'Community Power Workshop'
- Regional outreach, Newsletters and Community presentations
- Participate in ReLeaf Niagara, Niagara CarShare, Seedy Saturday, and a host of regional events
- Host Renewable Energies Tour, connecting public with the industry's best examples
- Niagara Fruit Tree Trail
Many thanks to the numerous volunteers and members who make up Climate Action Niagara, to sponsors and partners, to mentors and friends. Thanks for the support of Niagara community individuals and businesses, organizations and institutions and special appreciation to the funders who enable these projects.